Description and Objectives
This class is a one semester course. Its main topics follow the catechetical framework approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. The first main topic of the course is the Seven Sacraments. For each sacrament, we will study its scriptural basis and its celebration. The second main topic is the “Person of Christ”. We will begin our study of the “Person of Christ” by going to Sacred Scripture and analyzing commentaries on the scenes of the Gospel. The last topic that will be touched upon is the “Mystery of the Trinity”. Last, the main objective of this course is for the students to grow intellectually in their faith. The goal is for the students to be able to give reasons for what they believe: as St. Peter says in Scripture, “Always be ready to give an explanation to anyone who asks you for a reason for your hope”.
The Sacraments: Source of Our Life in Christ, The Didache Series, ISBN 978-1-890177-92-8
Life of Jesus, Francisco Fernandez-Carvajal, ISBN 978-1-939231-97-0
Outline of Topics Covered:
I. The Seven Sacraments
- Anointing of the Sick
- Holy Orders
- Matter, form, and minister
II. The Person of Christ
- The Gospel as a reliable source
- Hypostatic union
- Christ is perfect God and perfect man
- Miracles of Christ as proof of his divinity
- Christ’s shared humanity
- Christ’s example of personal prayer
- Personal vocation presented by Christ
III. The Mystery of the Trinity
- Each person of the Blessed Trinity
Homework will be due at the start of every class; also, students should expect frequent quizzes on the reading assignments.
- Notebooks will be checked for a participation grade once a quarter.
- Each quarter students will give an oral presentation on an aspect of the class.
- Tests will be given on a regular basis.
- Students will express in writing their understanding of key concepts on a regular basis.
Please see course requirements.
I am available outside of class and will make myself available for extra help whenever an appointment is needed. And, I encourage parents to contact me with any questions or concerns either by phone or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or (301) 365-0227 ext. 253.