Dante and Melville
(Not currently offered)
- Course ID:ENG 311
- Teachers:Chris Breslin
Description and Objectives
The class will read three of the pillars of the Western Canon: Melville’s Moby-Dick, Dante’s Inferno, and Shakespeare’s King Lear, in that order. Those readings will be enhanced by selected short stories from Mark Helprin’s eclectic collection of short stories.
Reading, in-class discussion, and writing both in and out of class will help each student to grow in literary acumen overall and in the specifics of the matters that the books explore.
The Pacific and Other Stories
Quarter Grade=(Quiz Average x .3) + (Test Average x .7). Whatever resultant number is will be the grade you get( with possible extra credit points in one point increments as applicable).
- Expect one quiz per week.
- Expect a test at the completion of each book.
- Assigned essays(summer book report included) are weighted as test grades.
- Extra credit opportunities, to include “pull-ups for points,” will be made available to the needy student.
- Due work is due at the start of class.
- Late work will be penalized.
- Read with a pen in hand to mark sections that cause questions or that catch your attention.
- Seek help if you need it. My door is almost always open.
Show up on time and remain attentive in class. Keep up with the assigned reading and come to class ready to contribute. Be ready for the weekly quizzes and tests. Submit essays on time and after having thoroughly proofread them.